Monday, January 25, 2010

"Through Gates of Splendor" Ch 1

Studying at Books-A-Million last night. I'm a bookstore studier - the smelling and sipping of coffee, a study break to peruse the books, the sound of blurred conversations and mellow music in the background - these little pleasures make studying a treat. During last night's study break perusal, I stumbled upon 'The Gates of Splendor' by Elisabeth Elliot. I read the first chapter and decided to buy it. Here's one of the sentences that helped make the purchase...

"Were it not that I believed that Jesus was seen of men and proved Himself to be supernatural in outwitting death, I would throw the whole system back to the troubled skies and take a raft down the Mississippi today. But the fact is founding, settling, establishing. It holds as nothing else, and gives the sense that there are answers, not yet discovered, for which I must wait."

"But the fact is founding" - how that resonates. I too have felt doubt and thought it would be so much easier to "take a raft down the Mississippi". (actually, since reading Huck Finn, I have always wanted to take a raft down the Mississippi, however I don't think Elliot is talking about an actual rafting trip). But I've felt the same grounding - not from family, or friends, or habbit, or any other persuasion. It is the fact of Jesus that I cannot deny - it is settling. it is establishing. it holds as NOTHING else.

No comments:

Post a Comment